These are scary stories for older readers. Authors with links have written other scary books. Be sure to check them out, too!
- Doctor Illuminatus by Martin Booth.
- Gideon the Cutpurse: Being the First Part of the Gideon Trilogy by Linda Buckley-Archer.
- J Delaney, Joseph. THE REVENGE OF THE WITCH. Young Tom, the seventh son of a seventh son, starts work as an apprentice for the village spook, whose job is to protect ordinary folk from "ghouls, boggarts, and all manner of wicked beasties."
J Gaiman, Neil. THE GRAVEYARD BOOK. Nobody Owens is a normal boy, except that he has been raised by ghosts and other denizens of the graveyard.
J Grabenstein, Chris. THE CROSSROADS. When eleven-year-old Zack Jennings moves to Connecticut with his father and new stepmother, they must deal with the ghosts left behind by a terrible accident, as well as another kind of ghost from Zack's past.
- J Hahn, Mary Downing. THE OLD WILLIS PLACE: A GHOST STORY. Tired of the rules that have bound them ever since "the bad thing happened," twelve-year-old Diana ignores her brother's warnings and befriends the daughter of the new caretaker, setting in motion events that lead to the release of the spirit of an evil, crazy woman who once ruled the old Willis place.
J Hardinge, Fraces. WELL WITCHED. Three friends fall prey to the demands of the Well Witch when they trespass in her wishing well and steal some coins.
J Hunter, Mollie. A STRANGER CAME ASHORE. Robbie struggles to save his sister from a selkie, a seal who assumes the shape of a man to lure away young women.
J Hurston, Zora Neale. THE SKULL TALKS BACK. Spooky, chilling, and fantastical, this collection of six scary tales will send shivers up your spine!
J Kehret, Peg. THE GHOST’S GRAVE. Apprehensive about spending the summer in Washington State with his Aunt Ethel when his parents get an overseas job, twelve-year-old Josh soon finds adventure when he meets the ghost of a coal miner.
J SC (Story Collection) McKissack, Pat. THE DARK THIRTY. A collection of ghost stories with African American themes, designed to be told during the Dark Thirty--the half hour before sunset--when ghosts seem all too believable.
J Montes, Marisa. SOMETHING WICKED’S IN THOSE WOODS. When their parents are killed in an accident, eleven-year-old Javier and his younger brother leave their home in Puerto Rico to go live with their aunt in Northern California, where a ghost from an unsolved crime and Javi's new-found psychokinetic powers make their adjustment all the harder.
J Napoli, Donna Jo. THREE DAYS. When her father suddenly dies while on a business trip leaving her alone on an Italian highway, eleven-year-old Jackie worries what will happen when she is picked up by two men with unknown motives.
J Nixon, Joan Lowry. THE SPECTER. When Dina is in the hospital, she has a terrified roommate – a girl who thinks that the man who killed her father is trying to kill her.
J Reiss, Kathryn. SWEET MISS HONEYWELL’S REVENGE: A GHOST STORY. Just before her mother is to remarry and her stepfamily is set to move in, twelve-year-old Zibby gradually realizes that her antique dollhouse is haunted by ghosts, one of whom is out for revenge.
J Roberts, Willo. SCARED STIFF. When their mother disappears, two brothers begin a dangerous search.
J SC (Story Collection). THAT GHOST’S FOR YOU: THIRTEEN SCARY STORIES. An international collection of spine-tingling stories, including such titles as "Bigger than Death," "The Airi," and "The Man Who Sang to Ghosts."
- J San Souci, Robert D. DOUBLE DARE TO BE SCARED: ANOTHER THIRTEEN CHILLING TALES. These diverse scary stories include fantasy, science fiction, and ghost tales.
J Stewart, Paul. THE CURSE OF THE NIGHT WOLF. Soon after Victorian messenger Barnaby Grimes is attacked by a huge beast while crossing London's rooftops, he becomes entangled in a mystery involving patent medicine, impoverished patients, and very expensive furs.
J Turner, Ann. ROSEMARY’S WITCH. When Rosemary moves into a new house, she discovers a witch living nearby who once lived in the house and wants it back.
- J Wallace, Barbara Brooks. PEPPERMINTS IN THE PARLOR. Sent to San Francisco to live with beloved aunt and uncle, newly orphaned Emily expectantly enters their once-happy mansion only to find unimaginable horrors.
- J Westall, Robert. THE STONES OF MUNCASTER CATHEDRAL. Soon after steeplejack Joe Clarke begins work on one of the spires of Muncaster's medieval cathedral, terrible things start to happen and Joe realizes that there is a malevolent force connected to the spire's gargoyle.
J Wood, Don. INTO THE VOLCANO: A GRAPHIC NOVEL. While their parents are away doing research, brothers Duffy and Sumo Pugg go with their cousin, Mister Come-and-Go, to Kokalaha Island, where they meet Aunt Lulu and become trapped in an erupting volcano.
- J Wright, Betty Ren. THE DOLLHOUSE MURDERS. A dollhouse filled with a ghostly light in the middle of the night and dolls that have moved from where she last left them lead Amy and her sister to unravel the mystery surrounding grisly murders that took place years ago.