Rapunzels: a book club for girls aged 9-13 at Greene County Library
The Rapunzels formed in the summer of 2008, and this wiki was first conceived of as a project for the Rapunzels!
Rapunzels "Reads" of Summer 2008
- The Westing Game by Ellen Raskin
- "The Westing Game" is a mystery like none I've ever read. An awesome and sophisticated book really. I loved the true-to-life characters Ellen Raskin created, with all their quirks and weaknesses. This is a multi-layered story, which comments subtly on racism, female independence, snobbery, and greed. I tried keeping notes on the characters as I read, trying to figure out the murderer of Sam Westing, and the answer to the "Westing game" but gave that up after I'd accumulated several pages of notes. I didn't figure it out either until the author gave it away! Loved it! Littlegreenlibrarian 15:03, 7 June 2009 (EDT)
- This is one of my very favorite books ever. I loved getting to know Gypsy and Woodrow and their families in this book, and, like the characters of all great books, they will live on in my head always. This book is great for anyone aged 9 and up. I've known many adults who loved it. "Belle" deals with some issues universal to all humans, loss of an important person, the importance of looks, and the stories we tell ourselves in order to survive loss. Littlegreenlibrarian 20:05, 7 June 2009 (EDT)
- Tom's Midnight Garden by Philippa Pearce.
Rapunzel "Reads" of Summer 2009
- Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbitt
- Jacob Have I Loved by Katherine Paterson
- The Wolves of Willoughby Chase by Joan Aiken
- The Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler] by E.L. Konigsburg
Rapunzels "Reads" of Spring 2010
The Rapunzels will meet the third Thursday of each month at 3:30 pm in the Greene County Library. Check out what we'll read this spring!
- January 21 Granny Torrelli Makes Soup by Sharon Creech
- February 18 A Year Down Yonder by Richard Peck
- March 18 The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson Burnett
- April 15 The London Eye Mystery by Siobhan Dowd
- May 20 Strawberry Girl by Lois Lenski