Manga Madness: It's Everywhere
- YA PB Arakawa, Hiromu Fullmetal Alchemist (Adventure, Fantasy, Science Fiction)
- Brothers Edward and Alphonse battle evil while in pursuit of a Philosopher's Stone that may cure them of the results of an alchemic procedure that left one without an arm and a leg and the other trapped inside a suit of armor.
- YA PB Clamp Cardcaptor Sakura (Magical Girl, Fantasy, Romance)
- Sakura opens a book made by a magician, releasing cards that may cause evil unless she recaptures them. Cute and definitely appropriate for younger readers.
- YA PB Kishimoto, Masashi Naruto (Action, Adventure, Drama)
- The adventures of Naruto, who is in training to become the greatest ninja in Konohagakure.
- YA PB Kubo, Tite Bleach (Supernatural, Action, Adventure, Horror)
- Ichigo Kurosaki who has the powers of a Soul Reaper, takes on the task of protecting humans from evil spirits.
- YA PB Oda, Eiichiro One Piece (Action, Adventure, Comedy, Drama)
- Monkey D. Luffy wants to become a pirate even though he can't swim and his body has the properties of rubber,, but he teams up with a group of pirates for a series of swashbuckling adventures.
- YA PB Takay, Natsuki Fruits Basket (Romance, Comedy, Drama, Fantasy)
- Recently orphaned Tohru goes to live with the Sohma family in exchange for housekeeping duties, discovering that everyone in the family has the curse of turning into their zodiac animal when they are hugged by a member of the opposite sex.
- xxxHolic by Clamp
- "XXXholic, not at all pornographic despite the title, follows the professional trade of Yuko, a space-time witch whose general purpose in life is to trade in wishes. She provides all manner of magical gifts and objects to those in need for a price. " (No Flying, No Tights)
- Yuyu Hakusho by Yoshihiro Togashi
- "When Yusuke dies while performing a selfless act, the afterlife doesn't know what to do with him. So they offer him a chance to come back to life and become a spiritual detective investigating supernatural or spiritual issues on earth for the king of hell, which usually means Yusuke will end up fighting more than just humans." (YALSA, p. 34)
- The Kindaichi Case Files (Volume 1: The Opera House Murders) by Yozaburo Kanari
- "Hajime Kindaichi is a cocky amateur sleuth with amazing detective skills. Each volume is a conclusive murder mystery and can be read in any order. The well-designed mysteries cause readers to use both visual clues in the black and white art and textual clues in the writing to solve the murder mystery. Readers who like traditional whodunits will fall hard for this mystery series." (YALSA, p. 37)
- Boys Over Flowers by Yoko Kamio
- "Tsukushi Makino has arrived at Eitoku Academy, the prestigious hothouse where the flowers of society (the children of the super-rich) are nurtured. Or so her parents believe. Eitoku is more like a jungle where predators rule. The F4, Eitoku's four most sought-after boys, dominate the school. ... Tsukushi is about to become the first person ever to stand up to the F4." (No Flying, No Tights)
- Kare Kano: His and Her Circumstances by Masami Tsuda
- "Yukino lives for praise. Seriously. she works day and night to get it. She's not really this nice girl; she'd much rather be reading get-rich schemes than a classic, but she's great at putting on airs. Now in high school, she is all ready to be in the spotlight until Arima gets there first! She sees him as her archrival and when he finds out her real personality, she'd do anything to destroy him. That is, until he confesses his love to her" (YALSA, p. 37)
- Marmalade Boy by Wataru Yoshizumi
- "All Miki wants is a normal family, but that's not going to happen with her parents divorcing, swapping partners with another couple, and all four living under the same roof! But then she meets Yuu, her new stepbrother, and maybe, just maybe, he can ease her pain." (YALSA, p. 37)
- Mars by Fuyumi Soryo
- "In this introductory volume of an ongoing saga of teen romance, a boy and a girl from different worlds battle the odds, each other, and their peers in the pursuit of love...This is a classic good girl/bad boy love story, and teens, especially young women, will enjoy this tale of restlessness, confusion, and falling in love with someone from the wrong side of the proverbial 'tracks.'" (Gorman, p. 63-64)
- Oh My Goddess! by Kosuke Fujishima
- "Keiichi is a lonely college kid spending another Friday night alone, but when he attempts to order a pizza and accidentally ends up reaching the Goddess Technical Help Line instead, things will never be the same. When the beautiful Goddess genie Belldandy arrives on his doorstep to grant him one wish, Keiichi's life will change in ways he never imagined. This story is I Dream of Jeannie meets Dawson's Creek. It's fun, it's flirty, and teens love it for its portrayal of teen angst with regard to dating." (Gorman, p. 58)
- Peach Girl by Miwa Ueda
- "Momo (that's Japanese for Peach, hence the title) is the envy of her classmates for her beauty, and is spared no one's wrath, not even that of her best friend who is actually the one spreading the rumors. Thought to be a party girl, Momo is really a shy and lonely young woman seeking a loyal friend and perhaps a romantic liaison with classmate Toji. Peach Girl is coming-of-age manga at its best, and will resonate with teen readers, especially those who have ever been the unwanted recipient of negative attention." (Gorman, p. 65)
- Peach Girl: Change of Heart by Miwa Ueda
- "Momo has experienced a change of heart: She's with Kiley now, not Toji, and the Peach Girl's love life seems to be just peachy for once. (Finally!) That is, until Momo's sworn enemy, Sae, plots with Kiley's admirers to break up the happy couple and make Momo's life miserablke" (Tokyopop 2005)
- Angelic Layer by Clamp
- "In the future, the most popular game in the world is Angelic Layer. Contestants must raise and train their own 'Angels' (or fighting dolls) to compete in tournaments. Enter Misaki Suzuhara, sixth grade Angelic Layer prodigy. With her speed-type angel, Hikaru, many people think Misaki stands a chance of winning the championship. She'll have a lot of help along the way, but the road to victory will not be an easy route, especially for someone as young as Misaki." (YTokyopop 2005)
- Cowboy Bebop by Hajime Yatete
- "Cowboy Bebop, the television show, is one of the most popular anime series of all time. Similar in style and content, the manga series features all original stories with the same sci-fi action, humor, and hippishly cool characters. Fans of the show will most likely enjoy the book, and those readers who have never seen the show will quickly fall under the criminal-like spell of Spike, Jet, Faye, and Ed." (Gorman, p. 62)
- Gundam Seed, Mobile Suit by Masatsugu Iwase
- "A war is under way between genetically enhanced Coordinators and unmodified Naturals. The Natural-dominated Earth Alliance, struggling to catch up with the Coordinators' superior technology, has secretly developed its own Gundam mobile suits at a neutral space colony. Through a twist of fate, a young Coordinator named Kira Yamato becomes the pilot of the Alliance's prototype Strike Gundam, and finds himself forced to fight his own people in order to protect his friends." (Bandai America)
- Gundam Wing, Mobile Suit by Koichi Takita
- "It is the year AC 195. After 2 decades of oppression, a network of space-based rebels strike back at their opposing force, OZ. Using super-strong armor called gundanium, scientists construct advance mobile suits called Gundams. Five highly trained combat pilots are dispatched to Earth to wage guerilla war against OZ and its Alliance. Filled with action-packed robotic battles and enough plot twists and turns to give you a G-Force whiplash." (Tokyopop 2005)
- Megaman NT Warrior by Ryo Takamisaki
- "The year is 200X and everyone is now connected to the Cyber Network. People carry their own PET (Personal Terminal) and are paired up with an artificial intelligence program called a NetNavi (or NetNavigator). While the invention of the PET and NetNavis has brought great benefits to the world, computer hacking, virus spreading and other high-tech crimes are becoming a major problem. A sinister organization by the name of World Three has appeared and they've vowed to destroy this technological wonderland. Enter our young hero, Lan Hikari, an intensely curious and cheerful fifth grader. Synchronized with his NetNavigator, MegaMan, he becomes a super-charged dynamo. In and out of the Net, Lan and MegaMan do their best to thwart World Three's never-ending quest to take over the world!" (YIZ Media)
- Mobile Suit Gundam 0079 by Kazuhisa Kondo
- "In the future a group of rogue space colonies Zeon declares independence from Earth. A devastating civil war breaks out, with Zeon's army of Zaku mobile suits as the deciding weapon... until Amuro Ray, a young electronics wizard, commandeers his father's top-secret invention, Mobile Suit Gundam!" (VIZ Media)
- Yu-Gi-Oh! by Kazuki Takahashi
- "10th grader Ygi spent most of his time alone playing games...until he solved the Millennium Puzzle, a mysterious Egyptian artifact! Possessed by the puzzle, Yugi becomes Yu-Gi-Oh, the King of Games, and challenges evildoers to the Shadow Games...weird games with high stakes and high risks!" (VIZ Media)
- Swan by Kyoko Ariyoshi
- "One of the most famous and lauded shojo manga ever published, Swan is Ariyoshi Kyoko's best-selling classic about a girl who strives to become a great ballerina."" (DC Comics)
JMRL titles yet to be categorized:
- Beet, The Vandel Buster
- D. N. Angel
- Dr. Slump
- Kamikaze Kaito Jeanne
- Koi Cupid
- Pumpkin Scissors
A Few Definitions
- Anime: The film equivalent to manga; animation that is created and produced in Japan.
- Manga: Japanese comic books that are drawn on coarse paper in black and white and designed to be portable; they are sometimes read right-to-left (backwards).
- Shojo: Manga with character-driven stories created primarily for young girls.
- Shonen: Manga with strong action-themed stories primarily written for young guys (Tokyopop 2004).
ADV Films (2005). "ADV Manga"
Anime Broadcasting Network (2005). "Anime Web Turnpike"
Bandai America Inc. (2005). "Gundam Official"
BWI (2003). The Public Librarian's Guide to Graphic Novels]. DC Comics (2005). "CMX Manga"
Gorman, Michele (2003). Getting Graphic! Using Graphic Novels to Promote Literacy with Preteens and Teens
VIZ Media (2005). "Shonen Jump: The World's Most Popular Manga"
Tokyopop (2004). "Tokyopop Books"
VIZ Media (2005). "VIZ Manga"
YALSA (2005). "Get animated @ your library!" Young Adult Library Services 3(4): 32-38.
Manga Reviews on the Internet
Kat Kan, "Diamond Comics Bookshelf"
Gilles Poitras, "The Librarian's Guide to Anime and Manga"
D. Aviva Rothschild, "The Comics Get Serious: Graphic Novel Reviews"