Let's Eat - Books about Cooking and Food for Young Adults
Article in Themes category.
Most of these books include recipes.
- A La Carte, by Tanita S. Davis - African American, vegetarian, and 17 years old: Lainey thinks it's her time to be a celebrity chef. Can she keep her focus on her dreams after her best friend runs away?
- Dear Julia, by Amy Bronwen Zemser - 16 year old Elaine is shy but wants to be the next Julia Child. Her friend pushes her into the spotlight whenshe pushes Elaine into a cooking contest.
- Death By Eggplant, by Susan Heyboer O'Keefe - Bertie is in 8th grade, and tells no one he wants to be a master chef.
- Flavor of the Week, by Tucker Shaw - Cyril makes amazing food - but uses it to secretly help his friend Nick woo Cyril's crush Rose.
- Hot Lunch, by Alex Bradley - Molly and Cassie can't stand each other - but they must learn to work together when they are both assigned to run the school's lunchroom - or the student body might not survive!
- Hot, Sour, Salty, Sweet, by Sherri L. Smith - Ana comes from a mixed family - which gets interesting when her culturally-diverse grandparents must share a kitchen to cook a graduation feast.
- The Angelica Cookson Potts series, by Cherry Whytock - each book contains recipes as Angelica learns to balance her body issues with her love of food - and of life.
- Tantalize, by Cynthia Leitich Smith - Quincie must help keep her family's restaurant open - developing a new menu with a chef who might be a vampire.
- Chew On This: Everything You Don't Want to Know about Fast Food, by Eric Schlosser and Charles Wilson. This is an updated and targeted-for-younger-folk version of Eric Schlosser's Fast Food Nation.
- Cooking Up a Storm, by Sam Stern, who is a 14-year-old chef who shares his favorite recipes in this "teen survival cookbook." Also try his follow-up Sam Stern's Get Cooking.
- I'm a Vegetarian: Amazing Facts and Ideas for Healthy Vegetarians, by Ellen Schwartz
- Teens Cook: how to Cook What You Want to Eat, by Megan and Jill Carle - who followed up with Teens Cook Dessert.