JMRL Reads: A Wiki for Sharing Information about Books for Readers of All Ages
- 1 Welcome to JMRL Reads
- 2 Featured Lists
- 3 Book Groups
- 4 Become a Contributor
- 5 How to Use the Wiki
Welcome to JMRL Reads
JMRL Reads is your resource for finding great books from the Jefferson-Madison Regional Library.
Browse the Categories link to browse by genre, or use the search bar to get started.
Featured lists include new lists, newly updated lists, and lists that are pertinent right now!
- Fantasy (Adult Fiction) - Delve into the fantasy genre with a wide variety of fantasy novels.
- Beach Reads - Get ready for the summer and check out some beach reads!
- Rural Noir (Adults) - Drawing on the Southern Gothic literary tradition of William Faulkner and Flannery O’Connor married with the hardboiled noir style of crime fiction like that of James Cain, rural noir features the criminal element of hardscrabble characters in ramshackle, backwoods environs. Usually Southern or Midwestern, these are desperate areas in hard times, and the stories that come out of them are full of moody atmosphere and humanity laid bare. Plenty of family feuds and revenge gone awry. Characters are tough, smart, and resourceful, and the criminal element adds grit and violence, often tempered by a dark humor.
- African-American Authors (Young Adult Fiction) - Delve into stories featuring African American teens that touch on relationships, family issues, hilarious road trips, and more.
- Beyond Young Adult: Adult Titles with Teen Appeal - Not all books with teen appeal are in the Young Adult section. Here are some of our favorite adult titles that are great for young adults.
- Manga Madness: It's Everywhere - Manga is an immensely popular format making it difficult to limit any list to a reasonable length. This list is a mix of JMRL Teen Librarians' personal favorites and big-name classic titles.
- Very Visual Nonfiction - Nonfiction titles for young readers that convey most of their information through images and whose design is a delight for any age.
- Storytime Favorites - Preschool - Looking for a great read-aloud for your preschooler while storytime isn't in session? Try one of these storytime favorites used by many JMRL librarians which are sure to please your little reader.
- Giving Tree Book Suggestions - Whether for a child for the JMRL Giving Tree, or a gift for a special child in your life, this a list of fun books that early readers will love. Includes bilingual and Spanish books.
Try the book groups category to find one that suits your tastes. Is yours not listed? We welcome you to add it, and let us know what you're reading and talking about!
Book Group Resources
- Animanga Book Club (teens) (Central Library)
- Black Authors Reading Group (Central Library)
- Spine Crackers: A Tween Book Group (ages 9-12) (Central Library)
- Books on Tap: A Brewery Book Club
- Brown Baggers Book Group (Central Library)
- LGBT Book Club (Central Library)
- I've Always Wanted to Read... (Central Library)
- Pizza & Paperbacks (teens) (Central Library)
- Crozet Teen Book Club
- The Literati (Grades 9-12) (Crozet Library)
- R.A.D. (Read and Discuss) (Crozet Library)
- Yak & Snack (Grades 6-9) (Crozet Library)
- Monday Night Book Group (Crozet Library)
- Page Turners (kids) (Crozet Library)
- Read Aloud Circle (Crozet Library)
Gordon Avenue Library
- Book Batch (kids) (Gordon Avenue Library)
- Book Bites (kids) (Gordon Avenue Library)
- Bookaroos (kids) (Gordon Avenue Library)
- Graphically Speaking: Graphic Novel/Manga (Teens) (Gordon Avenue Library) page coming soon
- Literary Masterpiece (Gordon Avenue Library)
- Wednesday Evening Book Group (Gordon Avenue Library)
Greene County Library
- First Thursday Book Group (Greene County Library)
- Rapunzel "Reads" (tweens)(Greene County Library)
- Sharks of Greene County Library (ages 9-14) (tweens)
- Bibliophiles (teens) (Grades 8-12)
Louisa County Library
- Louisa Bookworms (Louisa County Library)
- Tuesday Evening Discussion Group (Louisa County Library)
- Twixt (tweens)
Nelson Memorial Library
- Brown Bag Book Club (Nelson Memorial Library)
- Book Bugs Book Group (kids) (Northside Library)
- Books Sandwiched In
- Chapter Chats YA Book Group (teens) (Northside Library)
- Mystery Book Group (Northside Library)
- Northside Library Wednesday Evening Book Group
- YA Book Club for Adults
- Inklings (Young Adult Book Club) (teens) (Scottsville Library)
- Rockin' Readers (kids)
- Scottsville Library Book Group (Scottsville Library) page coming soon
Become a Contributor
Do you want to help edit and add to the Wiki? You need to create an account to edit these pages. Please send an email to Hayley, and provide your real name and your requested username. The administrator will send you an email with your username and password (which you should change on initial login).
Before you start, check out these pages: