Hunger Games Read-Alikes
If you loved Katniss and Peeta and the struggle in Panem, try some of these similar titles:
YA/YA PB Anderson, M.T. Feed
- A normal trip to the moon turns epic when Titus realizes that he doesn't have to live with the head implant that controls everyone he knows, except the mysterious Violet.
YA/YA PB Bacigalupi, Paolo Ship Breaker
- Nailer is a ship breaker, a scavenger who survives by harvesting parts from destroyed ships in a post-apocalyptic New Orleans that is battered by flooding and super storms. After a hurricane, he discovers a new shipwreck, and his decision to help the survivor will alter his life forever.
YA Bardugo, Leigh Shadow and Bone
- Alina is rescued from obscurity by the mysterious Darkling who trains her as one of the magical elite. Is she really the Sun Summoner, the only one who can destroy the monsters of the Fold?
YA Bertagna, Julie Exodus
- Can Mara lead her people from the the floods of their homeland to the unknown sky cities?
YA Bracken, Alexandra The Darkest Minds
- A strange disease causes many children to lose their lives. Those that survive develop powers, making them dangerous, and so for their own protection and that of their families, they are put into special camps. Ruby learns how to survive inside the camp, knowing that something else is going on, and she aims to find out what it is.
YA Bray, Libba Beauty Queens
- Stranded on a desert island, 13 beauty queens fight each other, nature and evil forces . . . and prepare for the pageant.
YA Carson, Rae The Girl of Fire and Thorns
- Elisa is the Chosen One. But she despairs of being able to ever do anything remarkable. Just sixteen years old, she finds herself married off to a handsome king who keeps their marriage a secret while a daring revolutionary hunts her, believing she is the savior his people need. Elisa's adventures continue in The Crown of Embers and The Bitter Kingdom.
YA Charbonneau, Joelle The Testing
- Cia Vale is honored to be chosen to undergo The Testing to become one of those chosen for special training to lead the planet's rebuilding efforts. But as she prepares to leave, her father warns her of a darker side to of the training. Can she trust anyone?
YA/YA PB Colfer, Eoin The Supernaturalist
- Cosmo, sick of being a guinea pig, busts out of his orphanage and meets up with a gang who are killing the Parasites that are invisible to most people. But are the Parasites the real enemy?
YA/YA PB Condie, Ally Matched
- Cassie is thrilled that The Society has paired her up with her best friend Xander, but worries when her neighbor's face shows up on her match disk. The story continues in Crossed.
YA/YA PB Dashner, James The Maze Runner
- Thomas appears in the Maze with no memory and off-schedule and has to fight both the other guys there and the creepy Gladers. But what are they to make of the first girl to show up and her mysterious message? Continue with The Scorch Trials and The Death Cure.
YA DeStefano, Lauren Wither
- When genetic tampering creates a world where men and women die in their twenties, girls are forced into marriages to repopulate the planet. Continue with the other books in The Chemical Garden Trilogy.
YA/YA PB Doctorow, Cory Little Brother
- High school hacker Marcus turns his free gaming system into X-net to fight the excesses of Homeland Security after the bombing of the Bay Bridge.
YA/YA PB DuPrau, Jeanne City of Ember
- Humans were forced into hiding in the city of Ember over 200 years ago, but the lights are starting to go out. It's up to Lina and Doon to figure out an ancient message and save the city. But should they stay?
YA/YA PB Farmer, Nancy The House of the Scorpion
- Matt's a clone of an evil drug lord. But unlike other clones, he can still think for himself and must decide if he's brave enough to escape and fix the mistakes he's made.
YA Fisher, Catherine Incarceron
- A mad ruler, a living prison, an old legend: is there any escape? Follow up with Sapphique.
YA Hautman, Pete Rash
- Bo's accused of spreading a rash at school and sent to a work in a pizza factory in the tundra. His computer program, Bork, wants to free him, but can Bork be trusted? And does Bo want to go back to his highly-regulated old life?
YA PB Karr, Julia XVI
- In a future society that tattoos "16" on girls' wrists when they come of age, they become easy targets for sexual predators. Nina's world turns upside-down when her mother is murdered right before her 16th birthday, revealing a secret about her society that will change her life and make her question everything she knows.
YA/YA PB Lowry, Lois The Giver
- In becoming one of only two people with his community's memories, Jonas is horrified to learn the truth no one else knows.
YA Lu, Marie Legend
- June is a wealthy prodigy, destined for greatness in the Republic's military. Day is the most-wanted criminal who has been accused of murdering her brother. But as june investigates she discovers the government is hiding some sinister secrets. First in a trilogy.
YA Malley, Gemma The Declaration
- Children aren't needed when no one dies, but Anna's parents broke the rules. Should she break out of her dorm/prison and find them or keep her head down?
YA McCaughrean, Geraldine The White Darkness: a novel
- Sym's "uncle" Victor sneaks her into Antarctica. If she can't trust him, how will she survive at the bottom of the world?
YA PB Ness, Patrick The Knife of Never Letting Go
- The Noise germ caused all the men and boys to hear each other's thoughts and killed all the women and children. So what is Todd to make of Viola and the secrets his town holds?
YA/YA PB Paulsen, Gary Hatchet
- All Brian has after a plane crash is a hatchet and the survival skills he learned. Can he keep himself alive?
YA/YA PB Pearson, Mary E. The Adoration of Jenna Fox
- When Jenna wakes up from a coma with no memory of her past life, everyone seems determined to shelter her from the details of her accident. Why are they so desperate to keep the details of her treatment secret? Jump forward with The Fox Inheritance.
YA Pfeffer, Susan Beth Life as We Knew it
- Miranda's journal describes how her family and town comes together and fall apart when the moon falls out of orbit and life as she knew it ends.
YA/YA PB Philbrick, Rodman The Last Book in the Universe
- An earthquake has destroyed most of earth, and most people's intelligece. Is Spaz brave enough to help Ryter publish a book?
YA Reeve, Philip Mortal Engines
- In a world where cities can move and take over smaller towns, Tom is betrayed and exiled to the Out-Country.
YA/YA PB Revis, Beth Across the Universe
- The lives of Amy, a colonis, and Elder, the ship Godspeed's designated next leader, intersect when she is mistakenly awakened from cryogenic sleep years too early. On a ship where every function is based on lies, her difference and his tendency to independent thought threaten both their lives. Carry on with A Million Suns.
YA/YA PB Roth, Veronica Divergent
- Everyone in Tris’s society is divided into five factions, each devoted to a specific virtue. Although Tris is born into the service faction of “Abegnation,” when she turns sixteen she has the chance to win her way into the reckless, fearless “Dauntless” faction. But as her initiation continues, Tris begins to wonder if she will ever truly belong.
YA Ryan, Amy Kathleen Glow
- Waverly is part of the first generation to be born in space, and she is destined to marry future Kieran to do her part to repopulate the new planet they will inhabit. But Waverly isn't sure she wants to follow the path that others have laid out for her.
YA Shusterman, Neal Unwind
- In a society where teens between the ages of 13 and 18 can be sent by parents or guardians to be "unwound," their body parts harvested for transplant, three teens are on the run. If they can work together, they may be able to escape and survive.
YA Singer, Nicky Gen X
- Maxo Strang lives comfortably in Tropolis, like the rest of the genetically engineered, perfect kids - until a crack appears on his perfect face. He is sent to a hospital for an antidote, but there's a bigger, more sinister plan afoot, involving the powerful government and its treatment of the "Dreggies", the natural, un-enhanced members of the population, who live in slums.
YA/YA PB Westerfeld, Scott Uglies
- Tally thinks that becoming Pretty forever is a good idea, until she leaves the city and finds people who are fighting the system. Can she do it without betraying her friends?
Check out these links for other dystopian novels you might enjoy!