Graphic Novels for Young Adults
- YA Brosgol, Vera Anya's Ghost
When Anya falls in an abandoned well, she meets the ghost of Emily, who has been trapped there for 90 years. Emily hitches a ride when Anya is rescued, and Anya discovers that having a ghost for a friend may be more than she bargained for.
- YA Carroll, Emily Through the Woods
Five creepy stories with eerie, ominous art to match.
- YA Castellucci, Cecil The Plain Janes
When Jane's family moves from the city to the suburbs following a terrorist attack, she teams up with several other girls, also name Jane, to stage "art attacks" in protest over the loss of nature and beauty in the city. The story continues in Janes In Love.
- YA Cliff, Tony Delilah Dirk and the Turkish Lieutenant
- YA Hale, Shannon and Dean Rapunzel's Revenge
Remember the legend of the damsel in distress locked in a tower who lets her hair fall out of the tower so the prince can climb up to save her? Well, that was then. THIS Rapunzel isn't waiting to be saved -- she'll do it herself, thank you! Here you get a twist on the legend in an action-packed Wild West setting. Don't miss the sequel, Calamity Jack, in which Jack climbs a magical beanstalk.
- YA Neri, Greg Yummy: The Last Days of a Southside Shorty
A graphic novel version of the true story of an 11 year old who murdered and was murdered in a gang violence.
- YA Russell, P. Craig Coraline
- YA Tan, Shaun The Arrival by Shaun Tan
Follow an immigrant's journey in this amazing, wordless graphic novel.
- YA Yang, Gene Luen American Born Chinese
Three humorous and thought-provoking stories reflect the Chinese-American experience in terms of traditions, prejudices, and issues of self-image and coming of age.
- YA Beddor, Frank Hatter M
This series fills in the blanks of Hatter M's story from the Looking Glass Wars series.
- YA Kibuishi, Kazu Amulet
After their father's dath, Emily and her brother Navin move with their mom to an old house with an entry to an alternate version of earth.
- YA Petersen, David/ YA Mouse Mouse Guard
In this beautifully drawn series, Saxon, Kenzie, and Lieam patrol the borders of the Mouse Territories to keep its citizens safe. If you liked the Redwall series, you'll love these!
- YA Smith, Jeff Bone
The adventures of the Bone cousins --Fone, Smiley, and Phoney -- who are thrown out of Boneville fter Phoney Bone's shady deals go bad.
- GN 306.875 Telgemeier, Raina Sisters
- GN 323.029 Lewis, John March
Congressman John Lewis was one of the key figures in the Civil Rights Movement. This graphic novel trilogy is his first-hand account of his lifelong struggle for civil and human rights. Book 1 includes an account of Lewis’ youth in Alabama, his meeting with Martin Luther King, Jr., and the birth of the Nashville student movement. Many student activitists were inspired by a 1950s comic book, "Martin Luther King and the Montgomery Story," an important factor in Lewis’ choice to tell his own story in graphic novel format.
- GN 617.645 Telgemeier, Raina Smile
A true story about the author's experience as a middle school girl with various dental issues that impacted her appearance and how she felt aobut herself.
- GN 623.451 Fetter-Vorm, Jonathan Trinity: A Graphic History of the First Atomic Bomb
The story of the development and release of the atomic bomb during World war II. A great companion to Bomb:The Race to Build - and Steal - the World's Most Dangerous Weapon by Steve Sheinkin (623.451 Sheinkin).
- GN 92 Abirached, Zeina A Game For Swallows: To Die, To Leave, To Return
- GN 92 King, Martin Luther, Jr. I see the Promised Land by A.R. Flowers
An account of King's life and legacy, combining the styles of African storytelling and Indian fold art, with a background of the historic developments leading to his work.
- GN 92 Lincoln, Abraham The Gettysburg Address: A Graphic Novel Adaptation
An illustrated account of Lincoln's famous speech in the context of its time and its enduring significance.
- GN 940.5318 Spiegelman, Art The Maus series
In these award-winning graphic novels, Art Spiegelman traces the effects of the Holocaust on both his parents and his own lives.
- GN 978.02 Brown, Don The Great American Dust Bowl
An account of the causes and effects of the Dust Bowl on the lives of residents of the Great Plains during the 1930s.