Difference between revisions of "Funny Fiction for Grades 2-4"
|Line 98:||Line 98:|
by Central Children's staff - 1/14
Revision as of 19:08, 6 January 2016
- J Birney, Betty G. THE WORLD ACCORDING TO HUMPHREY
- Humphrey, pet hamster at Longfellow School, learns that he has an important role to play in helping his classmates and teacher. Humphrey Adventures.
- J Blume, Judy. TALES OF A FOURTH GRADE NOTHING
- Peter finds his demanding two-year-old brother an ever increasing problem.
- J Bruel, Nick. BAD KITTY GETS A BATH
- Takes a humorous look at the normal way cats bathe, why it is inappropriate for humans to bathe that way, and the challenges of trying to give a cat a real bath with soap and water.
- J Cleary, Beverly. HENRY HUGGINS
- When Henry adopts Ribsy, a dog of no particular breed, humorous adventures follow.
- J Cottrell-Boyce, Frank. CHITTY CHITTY BANG BANG FLIES AGAIN
- Down on their luck, the Tooting family buys an old camper van and begins repairing it, but after installing an engine that once belonged to an extraordinary car, they are off to find other original parts, pursued by a sinister man who wants Chitty for himself.
- J Cronin, Doreen. THE TROUBLE WITH CHICKENS: A J.J. TULLY MYSTERY
- A hard-bitten former search-and-rescue dog helps solve a complicated missing chicken case.
- J Dahl, Roald. The BFG
- Kidsnatched from her orphanage by a BFG (Big Friendly Giant), who spends his life blowing happy dreams to children, Sophie concocts with him a plan to save the world from nine other man-gobbling cannybull giants.
- J DiCamillo, Kate. MERCY WATSON TO THE RESCUE
- After Mercy the pig snuggles to sleep with the Watsons, all three awaken with the bed teetering on the edge of a big hole in the floor.
- J Evans, Jonathan. THE ELEVATOR FAMILY
- The four members of the Wilson family decide to spend their holiday in one of the elevators at the San Francisco Hotel.
- J Fine, Anne. THE DIARY OF A KILLER CAT
- Tuffy the pet cat tries to defend himself against accusations of terrifying other animals and murdering the neighbor's rabbit. See also The Return of the Killer Cat.
- J Finney, Patricia. I, JACK
- Jack, a Labrador Retriever, tells about his daily life of food, walks, and the "apedogs" and "funny-looking dogs" (cats) in his pack, as well as how everything changes when a pretty girl dog moves into the neighborhood. Includes explanatory footnotes written by the cats.
- J Green, D.L. ZEKE MEEKS VS. THE PUTRID PUPPET PALS
- All the children in the third grade except Zeke Meeks are playing with the newest fad, Puppet Pals finger puppets--will Zeke give in to the pressure and join them, even though he would much rather play basketball?
- J Griffiths, Andy. KILLER KOALAS FROM OUTER SPACE
- A collection of short stories by Terry Denton, including selections featuring zombie kittens, rocket stealing ants, and killer koalas.
- J Harper, Jessica. UH-OH, CLEO
- What starts out as a perfectly ordinary day in the Small house turns into Stitches Saturday when Cleo gets a cut on the head after her twin brother, Jack, accidentally pulls down their "Toy House."
- J Howe, Deborah. BUNNICULA: A RABBIT TALE OF MYSTERY
- Though scoffed at by Harold the dog, Chester the cat tries to warn his human family that their foundling baby bunny must be a vampire.
- J Kelly, Katy. LUCY ROSE: HERE’S THE THING ABOUT ME
- Eight-year-old Lucy Rose keeps a diary of her first year in Washington, D.C., her home since her parents’ separation, where she spends time with her grandparents, makes new friends, and longs to convince her teacher to let her take care of the class pet during a holiday.
- J Kline, Suzy. HORRIBLE HARRY AND THE MUD GREMLINS
- Harry persuades his classmates to sneak through the playground fence during lunchtime recess to view some unusual mushrooms.
- J Kurzweil, Allen. LEON AND THE SPITTING IMAGE
- Leon, a 4th grader at The Ethical School, tries to outwit the school bully and learn to sew for fanatical teacher Miss Cronheim, with unexpected help from his final project-- a doll with magical powers. See also Leon and the Championship Chip.
- J Lindgren, Astrid. PIPPI LONGSTOCKING
- Escapades of a lucky little girl who lives with a horse and a monkey--but without any parents--at the edge of a Swedish village.
- J McCleery, William. WOLF STORY
- A young father tells his five-year-old son humorous variations on the theme of a hen escaping the clutches of a wily wolf.
- J McDonald Megan. STINK: THE INCREDIBLE SHRINKING KID
- The shortest kid in the second grade, James Moody, also known as Stink, learns all about the shortest president of the United States, James Madison, when they celebrate Presidents' Day at school.
- J Michalak, Jamie. JOE AND SPARKY GET NEW WHEELS
- Sparky is a turtle who likes to stay inside his shell. Joe is a giraffe who likes to stretch his neck and see the world. When a car appears one day at the famous cageless zoo where they live, the two set off on the ride of their lives.
- J Morris, Gerald. THE ADVENTURES OF SIR GIVRET THE SHORT
- While not the most intrepid knight of the Round Table, Sir Givret the Short helps King Arthur and the other knights with his cunning and cleverness. The Knights’ Tales.
- J Mowat, Farley. OWLS IN THE FAMILY
- Relates the adventures of two owls who are family pets.
- J Park, Barbara. SKINNYBONES
- Alex's active sense of humor helps him get along with the school braggart, make the most of his athletic talents, and simply get by in a hectic world.
- J Paulsen, Gary. MUDSHARK
- Principal Wagner confidently deals with a faculty washroom crisis, a psychic parrot, and a terrorizing gerbil, but when sixty-five erasers go missing, he enlists the help of the school's best problem solver and locator of lost items, twelve-year-old Lyle Williams, aka Mudshark.
- J Pinkwater, D. Manus. THE HOBOKEN CHICKEN EMERGENCY
- Arthur goes to pick up the turkey for Thanksgiving dinner but comes back with a 260-pound chicken
- J Scieszka, Jon. SPACEHEADZ
- On his first day at Brooklyn's P.S. 858, fifth-grader Michael K. is teamed with two very strange students, and while he gradually comes to believe they are aliens who need his help, he has trouble convincing anyone else of the truth.
- J Vande Velde, Vivian. 8 CLASS PETS + ONE SQUIRREL (DIVIDED BY) ONE DOG = CHAOS
- A dog chases a squirrel into an elementary school one night, creating monumental chaos.
- J Vernon, Ursula. DRAGONBREATH
- Danny Dragonbreath and his friend Wendell get an up-close underwater tour of the Sargasso Sea from :Danny's sea-serpent cousin, encountering giant squid and mako sharks--and learn about standing up to bullies in the process.
- J Voake Steve. HOOEY HIGGINS AND THE SHARK
- Trying to raise enough money to buy a huge chocolate egg, Hooey Higgins, along with his best friend and brother, concocts a scheme to catch a shark and charge people to view it, but he ends up finding something much more amazing.
- J Watson, Tom. STICK DOG
- Stick Dog and his four friends - Stripes, Mutt, Poo-Poo and Karen - will do anything to steal some sweet-smelling hamburgers from a family at Picasso Park!
List by Central Children's staff - 1/14