Adult Historical Novels by Time Period
(Redirected from List of Great Books by Time Period)
- Year of Wonders by Geraldine Brooks
- Geraldine Brooks is masterful at weaving historical threads of fact throughout fiction. In Year of Wonders, she conveys the story of a seventeenth century village that succumbs to the merciless scourge of the plague. On the surface, the novel serves as an account of the gruesome and physical sufferings of the village through the voice of Anna. When viewed deeper, however, it becomes a sociological observation in beautiful language of the towns-folk's personal discoveries ranging from sadly disturbing to miraculously wonderful.
- Ahab's Wife; or, The star-gazer by Sena Jeter Naslund
- The All-True Travels and Adventures of Lydie Newton by Jane Smiley
- The Living by Annie Dillard
- Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry
Turn of the Nineteenth Century/Late Victorian
World War II
- City of Thieves by David Benioff
- The Dollmaker by Harriet Arnow
- Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet by Jamie Ford
- Henry Lee, a Chinese boy from a first generation immigrant family living in Seattle at the outbreak of WWII, falls in love with Keiko Okabe, a Japanese American girl, against the opposition of his father who has been fighting the war against the Japanese invaders of China all of his life in his head, but Keiko and the rest of the Japanese community are sent to the internment camps for the duration of the war.
- Skeletons at the Feast by Chris Bohjalian