Graphic Novels for Young Adults
Article in Young Adult Fiction category.
Get the picture with these illustrated stories!
- Alex Rider Adventures by Anthony Horowitz
These graphic novel interpretations of the Alex Rider books feature art by Kanako Damerum and Yuzuru Takasaki.
- Amulet series by Kazu Kibuishi
Siblings Emily and Navin struggle to save their mother's life with the aid of their grandfather's quirky inventions.
- Avalon High by Meg Cabot
Ellie's high school may be populated by descendants of the Knights of the Round Table! Based on the novels of the same name.
- The Arrival by Shaun Tan
Follow an immigrant's journey in this amazing, wordless graphic novel.
- Artemis Fowl series by Eoin Colfer
See Artemis' exploits in full color!
- Blood Relatives series by Ellen Schreiber
A manga based on the *Vampire Kisses series with art by Rem.
- Bone series by Jeff Smith
The Bone cousins roam The Valley after being kicked out of Boneville in a series of hilarious adventures.
- Calamity Jack by Shannon and Dean Hale
The sequel to Rapunzel's Revenge, in which Jack climbs a magical beanstalk.
- Cirque du Freak manga by Darren Shan
A manga version of the tale of a boy turned vampire with art by Takahiro Arai.
- Coraline by P. Craig Russell
- The Crogan Adventures by Chris Schweizer
Cory and Eric's ancestors were swashbucklers! See how they escape in this action-packed series!
- Ender's Game series by Orson Scott Card
A graphic novel version of the sci-fi classic.
- Ghostopolis by Doug TenNapel
Garth is dying but is sent to the city of the dead too soon. Can he fight his way back?
- Hatter M series by Frank Beddor
This series fills in the blanks of Hatter M's story from the Looking Glass Wars series.
- Japan Ai: a Tall Girl's Adventures in Japan by Aimee Major Steinberger
This travel journal of Aimee's trip to Japan to see where her favorite dolls are made is a must read for lovers of anime, manga and all things kawaii!
- Maximum Ride series by James Patterson
A manga-style version of the popular books.
- Mouse Guard series by David Petersen
In this beautifully drawn series, Saxon, Kenzie, and Lieam patrol the borders of the Mouse Territories to keep its citizens safe. If you liked the Redwall series, you'll love these!
- Percy Jackson & the Olympians by Rick Riordan
The graphic novel version of the wildly popular Percy Jackson adventures!
- Rapunzel's Revenge by Shannon and Dean Hale
Remember the legend of the damsel in distress locked in a tower who lets her hair fall out of the tower so the prince can climb up to save her? Well, that was then. THIS Rapunzel isn't waiting to be saved -- she'll do it herself, thank you! Here you get a twist on the legend in an action-packed Wild West setting.
- Re-gifters by Mike Carey
Dixie's crush on Adam threatens her spot in the national hapkido tournament and her relationships with her family and friends.
- Satchel Paige: Striking Out Jim Crow by James Sturm & Rich Tommaso
Stachel Paige begins his baseball career and fights discrimination.
- Smile by Raina Telgemeier
An accident in the sixth grade knocks out Raina's front teeth. Her non-fiction graphic novel explains how those few seconds changed her life in middle school and high school.
- Warriors series by Erin Hunter
A manga version of the wildly popular cat series written by Dan Jolley.
- American Born Chinese by Gene Luen Yang
- Anya's Ghost by Vera Brosgol
Russian immigrant Anya just wants to fit in, not be followed by a psychotic ghost.
- Blokhedz by Mark Davis
Blak, a 17 year old rapper in Empire City, can make his rhymes come true. Will he use this power for good?
- Castle Waiting by Linda Medley
This award-winning book describes life in an abandoned castle, where a talking horse, a bearded nun and other misfits live.
- The Eternal Smile by Gene Luen Yang
In three stories, graphic novel master Yang pits reality against fantasy.
- Good as Lily by Derek Kirk Kim
Grace's 18th birthday present? Getting to see her self at three different parts of her life. She's not sure if this is just what she needs or certain disaster.
- The Good Neighbors series by Holly Black
Rue, half faerie and half human, must choose sides in the upcoming conflict between the two sides.
- How I Made it to Eighteen by Tracy White.
Tracy honestly and emotionally examines the issues that led her to check herself into a mental hospital and how she recovered.
- Inside Out: Portrait of an Eating Disorder by Nadia Shivack
Nadia uses the graphic novel format to relate her brutally honest struggle with anorexia and bulimia in this true story.
- The Kampung Boy series by Lat
In these two books, Lat describes his life in Malaysia, from rubber plantation to boarding school.
- Laika by Nick Abadzis
A heartbreaking fictionalization of the first dog in space.
- Life Sucks by Jessica Abel
A mature story of life as a vampire on the midnight shift at a convenience store by noted graphic novelist.
- The Maus series by Art Spiegelman
In these award-winning graphic novels, Art Spiegelman traces the effects of the Holocaust on both his parents and his own lives.
- Notes for a War Story by Gipi
Giuliano drifts through a war-torn Balkan state until he falls under the influence of Felix, a mercenary. Soon, he no longer knows what he is fighting, and stealing, for.
- The Plain Janes by Cecil Castellucci
Art brings four misfits named Jane together, but their group, P.L.A.I.N., People Loving Art in Neighborhoods, is what really stirs things up.
- The Return of King Doug by Greg Erb
Doug has been running from things since he gave up his throne at age 8, but now that his 8 year old is in danger, he has to stand and fight.
- The Scott Pilgrim series by Bryan Lee O'Malley
You've seen the movie, now read how slacker Scott uses his kung-fu to battle Ramona's seven evil exes.
- Skim by Mariko Tamaki and Jillian Tamaki.
Kimberly Keiko Cameron, Skim, struggles with identity, suicide, divorce and sexuality in this beautiful graphic novel.
- Stitches: a memoir by David Small
David's radiologist father continually x-rayed him to try to cure sinus problems. At 14, David woke up from an operation mute, not knowing he nearly died of cancer. In this memoir, he explains how he regained his voice through art.
- Twilight: the graphic novel by Stephenie Meyer
A graphic novel version of the popular vampire series, with art by Young Kim.
- Yummy: The Last Days of a Southside Shorty by Greg Neri
A graphic novel version of the true story of an 11 year old who murdered and was murdered in a gang violence.
- The Zabime Sisters by Aristophane
The adventures of teenagers on the first day of summer vacation on the island of Guadaloupe. Translated from French.