Fantasy (Adult Fiction)
To learn more about the varied genre of fantasy, visit Wikipedia's Fantasy page.
Other pages you may enjoy if you like Fantasy:
- Fantasy (Young Adult)
- Science Fiction (Adult Fiction)
- Steampunk (Juvenile, Young Adult, and Adult)
- Surreal Fiction
Find in the Fiction Section
- My Name is Memory by Ann Brashares
- Daniel can remember his past lives and is haunted by a love from millennia ago. Lucy, a UVa student, feels drawn to a stranger she feels she knows. But sinister forces are at work, and the love Daniel strives to rekindle is threatened once again.
- Moon Called by Patricia Briggs
- Shape shifter Mercy Thompson is a talented mechanic whose connection with the paranormal world gets her into trouble while she's fixing a VW bus for a vampire. This character-driven urban fantasy novel is the first in the Mercy Thompson series. Sequel: Blood Bound.
- Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke
- In 19th century England, Mr. Norrell's solitary life is disrupted when a rival magician appears and becomes his pupil.
- Trader by Charles De Lint
- Two men inexplicably switch bodies, leaving one to pick up the pieces of the other's broken life, while the other enjoys the luxuries of success.
- The Magicians by Lev Grossman
- After graduating from an exclusive college of magic in upstate New York, Quentin Coldwater and his friends embark on a journey to uncover a secret. Power comes at a terrible price in this darkly magical coming-of-age story. Sequel: The Magician King.
- Queen of Kings by Maria Dahvana Headley
- Cleopatra becomes possessed by the Egyptian goddess of vengeance and war after a spell goes awry in this alternative history thriller that will have you on the edge of your seat.
- Some Kind of Fairy Tale by Graham Joyce
- A 16-year-old girl who disappeared 20 years ago shows up at her parents' door claiming to have been kidnapped by fairies--an unlikely story, except that she hasn't aged a day. How does her family react after years of grieving?
- Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West by Gregory Maguire
- Before it was a Broadway musical, it was the first of a series of books revisiting Oz from different characters' point of view, most indelibly that of green-skinned Elphaba, the Wicked Witch of the West. Sequel: Son of a Witch.
- You Suck: A Love Story by Christopher Moore
- A young man encounters the usual woes of the hapless romantic comedy hero pursuing his girl, with the added disadvantage of being a vampire in this novel which combines humor with horror and fantasy.
- The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern
- The competition between dueling magicians Celia and Marco intensifies as their attraction for one another grows. The elegant setting of the mysterious circus enhances this story, which is a standout audiobook narrated by Jim Dale.
- The Crane Wife by Patrick Ness
- The day after George fixes the wing of a wounded crane, a mysterious woman comes into his life, altering it forever. This mythological retelling of a Japanese folktale is moving, funny, and beautifully told.
- Memoirs of an Invisible Man by H.F. Saint
- After an accident leaves a stock analyst invisible, he amasses a fortune through eavesdropping as he navigates difficult new situations in this darkly comic novel.
- The Tomb by F. Paul Wilson
- Repairman Jack, ordinary guy with extraordinary skills, who hires out to "fix" the problems his clients can't take to the police or licensed private eyes. RJ's adventures often lead him into facing opposition from supernatural forces engaged in a cosmic epic war. Sequel: Legacies.
Find in the Science Fiction/Fantasy Section
- Storm Front by Jim Butcher
- Paranormal investigator and consultant Harry Dresden is called on by the Chicago P.D. for a special murder case that goes beyond mortal capabilities. First in The Dresden Files series. Sequel: Fool Moon.
- Seventh Son by Orson Scott Card
- Alvin is the seventh son of a seventh son, giving him powerful magical qualities, which make him a target for dark forces in this alternative history of frontier America. First in the Tales of Alvin Maker series. Sequel: Red Prophet.
- The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde
- Thursday is a young veteran of the Crimean War who became a literary detective, able to leap into the worlds of our universe's classic works of literature. In her debut case she pursues a Moriarty-like criminal through the world of Bronte's Jane Eyre. The first of the Thursday Next series. Sequel: Lost in a Good Book.
- Kraken: An Anatomy by China Miéville
- Museum curator Billy Harrow seeks to recover his prize exhibit, a giant squid, which has mysteriously disappeared, and then plunges into an alternative London full of cults and magic.
- The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss
- Young prodigy Kvothe attends a prestigious school of magic but becomes a fugitive wizard after murdering a king in this epic coming-of-age fantasy. Sequel: The Wise Man's Fear.
- Elantris by Brandon Sanderson
- Ten years ago the magic stopped without warning or explanation. When a foreign princess arrives to marry the crown prince, she finds that he is dead. But secrets lurk in this tale of rebellion and lies. Sequel: REDEMPTION.