Do Something - Books about Making a Difference for Young Adults
Article in Themes category.
- Start Something: You Can Make a Difference, by Earl & Tiger Woods.
- You Can Change Your World: Creative Ways to Volunteer and Make a Difference, by Sondra Clark
- 50 Simple Things You Can Do To Save The Earth, by The Earth Works Group
- Fight for Peace: The Story of Anti-War Movements in America, by Ted Gottfried - Check out the efforts of Americans throughout history to take a stand for peace both at home and globally.
- It's Your World--If You Don't Like It, Change It: Activism for Teenagers, by Mikki Halpin - A handbook to help YOU be the change you want in the world.
- Katie.com: my story by Katherine Tarbox
- Seven Wonders : Everyday Things for a Healthier Planet by John C. Ryan
- Teen Power Politics: Make Yourself Heard by Sara Jane Boyers
- Hero Type, by Barry Lyga - Kevin doesn't believe he's really a hero after he stops the abduction of a girl in his school - but that was just the catalyst in what becomes a fight for freedom of speech and expression.
- Hope Was Here, by Joan Bauer
- Flush, by Carl Hiaasen - Noah and his younger sister need to prove a casino-boat owner is polluting the waters, in order to save their dad (who gets into some pretty interesting activism of his own).
- Hoot, by Carl Hiaasen
- God of Beer, by Garret Keizer - High school students in Vermont form a non-violent protest group about alcohol.
- The Gospel According to Larry, by Janet Tashjian - Also try the sequel, Vote for Larry.
- Green Thumb, by Rob Thomas
- Lights, Camera, Amalee, by Dar Williams
- Stuffed, by Eric Walters
- Outcasts of 19 Schuyler Place, by E.L. Konigsburg.
- Saving the Planet and Stuff, by Gail Gauthier
- Going, Going, by Naomi Shihab Nye
- The Kayla Chronicles, by Sherri Winston - Kayla combines her love of dancing, journalism, and activism - her goal? Positive roles for girls.
- The Misfits, by James Howe
- DoSomething.org - inspiring teens to change the world, and giving them ways to do it.
- YouthNoise.org - offers a variety of materials that show young activists how to: volunteer, raise money for a cause, and organize activist events. [No longer active.]
- Idealist.org offers a section just for teen activists. Teenagers can learn about causes and read inspirational stories of students that have made a difference.
- Youth Venture provides grants for teen activists
- Veg Teen - offers resources for those interested in vegetarianism and animal rights. [No longer active.]
This list was inspired by and based on the list created by Boulder Library. - Oh no, that list moved!