Action Heroes and Heroines in YA Literature
Take that, James Bond!
Detectives & Crimes-Solvers
- Down the Rabbit Hole: An Echo Falls Mystery by Peter Abrahams
- Like her idol Sherlock Holmes, eight grader Ingrid Levin-Hill uses her intellect to solve a murder case in her home town of Echo Falls.
- Body Bags (A Body of Evidence Thriller) by Christopher Golden
- As Jenna starts her new job at the medical examiner's office, she is drawn into a web of terrifying disease, dangerous politics, and intriguing mystery. And when one of her professors ends up dead, she starts making connections eve teh police haven't seen...connections which will bring her face to face with a pair of killers: one medical, and one all too human.
- The Falcon's Malteser (Diamond Brothers Mystery) by Anthony Horowitz
- After his older brother, a fledgling private detective, agrees to safeguard a package for a dwarf who does not live long, thirteen-year-old Nick scampers to solve the mystery while also trying to stay one step ahead of an assortment of thugs.
- Lulu Dark Can See Through Walls by Bennett Madison
- When someone steals her purse and her identity, high-school junior and reluctant sleuth Lulu Dark investigates.
- Black Taxi by James Moloney
- When Rosie agrees to take care of her grandfather's Mercedes while he is in jail, she gets more than she bargained for, including being thrust into the middle of a jewel heist mystery and being attracted to a dangerous boy.
- Hangman's Curse (Veritas Project #1) by Frank Peretti
- When several students at Baker High School are stricken by an alleged curse of the school's ghost, Elijah and Elisha Springfield and their parents, undercover investigators, are sent to uncover the truth behind the events.
- Framed (Traces: Luke Harding, Forensic Investigator) by Malcolm Rose
- Luke has barely had time to celebrate his achievement of being the youngest forensic investigator ever when Malc, his robotic sidekick, calls him to their first case of as student's murder.
- Finding Lubchenko by Michael Simmons.
- When his father is framed for murder and bioterrorism, high-school junior Evan, using clues from a stolen laptop, travels from Seattle to Paris with two friends to find the real culprit.
- Fake ID (Hunted #1) by Walter Sorrells
- After a lifetime of moving and assuming new identities, sixteen-year-old Chass begins to piece together the disturbing past that haunts her and her mother and which involves a mysterious tape, a deceased popular singer, and the secrets of several people in a small Alabama town.
- Jimmy Coates, Assassin? by Joe Craig
- While escaping from the strange men that are after him in London, Jimmy discovers he possesses many unusual talents for an eleven-year-old boy.
- Percy Jackson and the Olympians (The Lightning Thief #1) by Rick Riordan
- With the help of a satyr and a daughter of Athena, Percy must journey across the United States to catch a thief who has stolen the original weapon of mass destruction -- Zeus' master bolt. Along the way, he must face a host of mythological enemies determined to stop him.
- The Extraordinary Adventures of Alfred Kropp by Rick Yancey
- Through a series of dangerous and violent misadventures, teenage loser Alfred Kropp rescues King Arthur's legendary sword Excalibur from the forces of evil.
Fighters & Martial Artists
- Samurai Girl series by Carrie Asai
- Sole survivor of a plane crash, Heaven is adopted by a wealthy Japanese family and at nineteen is forced to marry the son of her father's business rival. On her wedding day she loses the person she loves most, learns that all she knows about her family is a lie, and that she is being hunted and must fight back or die.
- 1-800-WHERE-R-YOU series by Meg Cabot, writing as Jenny Carroll
- Jess is dubbed Lightning Girl by the press when, after a huge storm, she develops a psychic ability to find missing children. But has she lost her miraculous powers? She would like everyone to think so. All she wants is to be left alone.
- The Ghost in the Tokaido Inn (Samurai Mystery #1) by Dorothy & Thomas Hoobler
- While attempting to solve the mystery of a stolen jewel, Seikei, a merchant's son who longs to be a samurai, joins a group of kabuki actors in eighteenth-century Japan.
- Chinese Cinderella and the Secret Dragon Society by Adeline Yen Mah
- During the Japanese occupation of parts of China, twelve-year-old Ye Xian is thrown out of her father's and stepmother's home, joins a martial arts group, and tries to help her aunt and the Americans in their struggle against the Japanese invaders.
- Tiger (Five Ancestors #1) by Jeff Stone
- Five young warrior-monk brothers survive an insurrection and must use the ancient arts to avenge their Grandmaster.
Spies & Secret Agents
- Alias: The Prequel series by Various Authors. Original prequel novels based on the hit TV series created by J.J. Abrams. Includes:
- Recruited by Lynn Mason
- FAther Figure by Laura Peyton Roberts,
- Free Fall by Christa Roberts,
- Vanishing Act by Sean Gerace,
- Skin Deep by Cathy Hapka, and
- Shadowed by Lizzie Skurnick.
- Spy High series by A. J. Butcher
- As students at a special high school that trains them to be secret agents, six teenagers struggle to coomplete the training exercises as a team before being sent into the field to swink or swim.
- Silverfin (Young Bond #1) by Charles Higson
- This prequel to the adventures of James Bond, 007, introduces us to the young James when he's just started boarding school in England and is about to become involved in his first adventure.
- Stormbreaker (Alex Rider Adventures #1) by Anthony Horowitz
- After the death of the uncle who had been his guardian, fourteen-year-old Alex Rider is coerced to continue his uncle's dangerous work for Britain's intelligence agency, MI6. See other authors who write like this.
- Kill Game (Fearless FBI #1) by Francis Pascal
- Gaia Moore, the girl born without fear, is trained to be an FBI agent, who tracks down serial killers.
- Live and Let Shop (Spy Goddess #1) by Michael Spradlin
- Beverly Hills teenager Rachel Buchanan gets in trouble with the law and winds up at mysterious Blackthorn Academy in Pennsylvania, where she uncovers secrets about the school and becomes entangled in a case of international espionage.