Local News and Obituaries
Due to increased demand for newspaper research in Charlottesville’s “Daily
Progress,” the Jefferson Madison Regional Library system has implemented the
- Since there is neither index to nor a way to search in the "Daily Progress," an exact date of an event must be submitted for every search request.
- For an obituary, the search will go one week beyond the date of death. For other newspaper research the one week search will be done in the most efficient manner.
- Local patrons who desire local newspaper searches are encouraged to come to the
library to do the research on their own.
- There will be a limit of 3 newspaper searches each month per patron.
- Email response is the preferred response for newspaper
searches. Articles will be sent in pdf format. To read this format, patrons must
have Adobe Reader installed on their computers. Get a free download of Adobe
Adult and Reference Services does not have the resources to reply to
genealogical inquiries. Please see our
Internet Links by Subject
and look under “Genealogy” for applicable resources and organizations.
JMRL also provides access to Ancestry (in library use only) and Heritage
Quest. Just click on "Genealogy" on JMRL's