Printable versions of this booklist are available as .pdf's here.
VERY MUCH A DRAFT
- 1 About the Author
- 2 Works by Charles Portis
- 3 Guns for Hire and Hardscrabble Heroes: Adventures & Untamed Characters
- 4 Home on the Range: Tales from the Frontier
- 5 Classic and Not-so-Classic Westerns
- 6 Lawmen & White Hats: Tales of Texas Rangers and US Marshals
- 7 Nonfiction
- 8 DVDs to Watch
- 9 Books for Youth?
- 10 External Links
About the Author
- Read a New York Times profile about Charles Portis, which describes his eluding of public life and his writing's characteristic deadpan humor: "Mr. Portis evokes an eccentric, absurd world with a completely straight face. As a result there are not a lot of laugh-out-loud moments or explosive set pieces here. Instead of shooting off fireworks the books shimmer with a continuous comic glow."
- A profile in the Wall Street Journal.
- An article in The Believer.
- The Encyclopedia of Arkansas History and Culture entry on Charles Portis.
Works by Charles Portis
- Norwood (1966)
- True Grit (1968)
- The Dog of the South (1979)
- Masters of Atlantic (1985)
- Gringos (1991)
- Escape Velocity: a Charles Portis Miscellany
- Portis contributed stories and articles to The Saturday Evening post, the Atlantic Monthly, the Oxford American, and the New Yorker
Guns for Hire and Hardscrabble Heroes: Adventures & Untamed Characters
The Thicket, by Joe Lansdale The Big Sky, by A. B. Guthrie When the Legends Die, by Hal Borland Far Bright Star, by Robert Olmstead
Home on the Range: Tales from the Frontier
Roughing It, by Mark Twain Death Comes for the Archbishop, by Willa Cather Little House on the Prairie, by Laura Ingalls Wilder Angle of Repose, by Wallace Stegner
Classic and Not-so-Classic Westerns
The Virginian, by Owen Wister Riders of the Purple Sage, by Zane Grey The Collected Short Stories of Louis L'Amour The Sisters Brothers, by Patrick DeWitt Spoon, Robert Greer
Lawmen & White Hats: Tales of Texas Rangers and US Marshals
Lonesome Dove, by Larry McMurtry
Rooster: the Life and Times of the real Rooster Cogburn, the Man who Inspired True Grit, by Brett Cogburn
DVDs to Watch
- True Grit (John Wayne)
- True Grit (Coen Brothers)
- Rooster Cogburn
- Django Unchained
Books for Youth?
- The NEA's Big Read website has a Reader's Guide and more information about the book and the author.