Summer Reads - 2014
Article in the Adult Fiction category.
Summer is a great time to discover new books. Try a title from the list below to find some entertaining reads to get you started.
- Garden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen
- Summer Sisters by Judy Blume
- The Romantics by Peter Brandvold
- My Name is Memory by Ann Brashares
- A Dog's Purpose by W. Bruce Cameron
Find out what this dog’s purpose is with this endearing and often hilarious novel narrated from a dog’s perspective, as he goes through several lives struggling to figure out what he is meant for on this earth. Follow it up with A Dog's Journey
- The Food of Love by Anthony Capella
- The 13th Hour by Richard Doetsch
- Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman
Fat Charlie is an average Joe Schmo living in London who never realized that he was the son of the god Anansi, until his father dies in a karaoke bar. Soon after, he meets a brother he never knew existed, who proceeds to ruin his carefully planned life. Also try American Gods by Neil Gaiman
- Queen of Kings by Maria Dahvana Headley
- Love Anthony by Lisa Genova
When Olivia and Beth meet accidentally in Nantucket, they find a friendship which helps each of them through their recent losses. Beth finds her passion for writing and finds herself channeling the voice of what might be Olivia’s 8-year-old recently deceased son in this heartfelt novel.
- The Spellman Files by Lisa Lutz
The Spellmans are a quirky family of P.I.s for whom snooping and blackmailing are a way of life, which leaves 28-year-old Izzy with virtually no privacy. She decides to leave the family business, but first she must take on one last case. Continue the story in Curse of the Spellmans
- The Crane Wife by Patrick Ness
- The Poe Shadow by Matthew Pearl
- Sailor Twain: Or, the Mermaid in the Hudson by Mark Siegel
- The Age of Miracles by Karen Thompson Walker
Eleven-year-old Julia’s world changes drastically as the rotation of the earth begins to slow down. But even as the days and nights grow longer and longer, she must also deal with issues in friendships and family in this coming-of-age novel.