Nonfiction Books for Teens
Revision as of 17:06, 30 November 2011 by Jrice
Article in the Young Adult Nonfiction category.
Recommended for Middle School
- 371.914 Abeel, Samantha. My Thirteenth Winter: A Memoir
- The story of a teenage girl's struggle with acalculia, a learning disorder that affects mathematical ability.
- 956.70443 Al-Windawi, Thura. Thura's Diary: My Life in Wartime Iraq
- Describes day-to-day life in Baghdad, Iraq, during the 2003 war, from the perspective of a 19-year-old girl.
- 910.92 Armstrong, Jennifer. :Shipwreck at the Bottom of the World: The Extraordinary True Story of Shackleton and the Endurance
- The true story of explorer Ernest Shackleton, who with his crew was stranded in the Antarctic ice pack in 1915 with no ship and no way to contact the outside world.
- 616.027 Dendy, Leslie. Guinea Pig Scientists: Bold Self-Experiments in Science and Medicine
- The stories of several men and women who made major scientific breakthroughs by experimenting on themselves, exposing themselves to great danger -- even death.
- 391.63 Graydon, Shari. In Your Face: The Culture of Beauty and You
- What does it mean to be beautiful? Who decides what beauty is? A thought-provoking look at the beauty industry and the concept of attractiveness in our society.
- 345.08 Jacobs, Thomas. They Broke the Law, You Be the Judge: True Cases of Teen Crime
- An inside look at the workings of the juvenile justice system and the cases of several young offenders.
- 92 Jiang, Ji-Li. Red Scarf Girl: A Memoir of the Cultural Revolution
- The author's experiences as a teen during the Cultural Revolution in China, when she was forced to choose between loyalty to her family or the ideals of the new government.
- 940.5318 Levine, Ellen. Darkness Over Denmark: The Danish Resistance and the Rescue of the Jews
- The true story of the Nazi invasion of Denmark, in which many citizens risked their lives to hide Danish Jews or help them escape to Sweden.
- 92 Mah, Adeline Yen. Chinese Cinderella: The True Story of an Unwanted Daughter
- A real-life Cinderella story, this memoir describes the author's painful experiences as a second-class citizen in her own home.
- 614.541 Murphy, Jim. An American Plague: The True and Terrifying Story of the Yellow Fever Epidemic of 1793
- A fascinating account of the deadly epidemic that swept through the city of Philadelphia in the late eighteenth century.
- Recounts the author's hilarious adventures growing up -- and getting into trouble -- in rural Minnesota in the 1950's.
- 973.757 Walker, Sally. Secrets of a Civil War Submarine: Solving the Mysteries of the H.L. Hunley
- The mysterious fate of the H. L. Hunley, the first submarine to sink an enemy ship, is explored using modern technology and science.
Recommended For High School
- 797.21 Cox, Lynne. Swimming to Antarctica: Tales of a Long-Distance Swimmer
- The remarkable story of a teenage girl's long-distance swimming training and accomplihsments, which include setting a world record for crossing the English Channel at age 15.
- 364.152 Crowe, Chris. Getting Away With Murder: The True Story of the Emmett Till Case
- A chilling account of 14-year-old Emmett Till's brutal murder, which helped to trigger the Civil Rights movement.
- 92 Crutcher, Chris. King of the Mild Frontier: An Ill-Advised Autobiography
- A sometimes hilarious, sometimes heartbreaking memoir describing the author's childhood and teenage years in Cascade, Idaho.
- 92 Darwin,Charles. Charles and Emma: The Darwin's Leap of Faith by Heiligman Deborah.
- 598.72 Hoose, Phillip. The Race to Save the Lord God Bird
- The fascinating story of scientists' efforts to save the ivory-billed woodpecker from extinction.
- 92 Kimmel, Haven. A Girl Named Zippy: Growing Up Small in Mooreland, Indiana
- The author looks back fondly at her childhood in a tiny Midwestern town.
- 92 McCandless, Chris. Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer.
- 796.522 Pftetzer, Mark. Within Reach: My Everest Story
- The teenage author's exciting experiences as a mountain climber, including his world-famous attempts to summit Mount Everest.
- 611 Roach, Mary. Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers
- Everything you ever wanted to know about what happens to the human body after death -- whether it is buried, cremated, or donated to science.
- 362.28 Runyon, Brent. The Burn Journals
- The story of a 14-year-old boy's suicide attempt and his courageous journey back to physical and psychological health.
- 92 Satrapi, Marjane. Persepolis: The Story of a Childhood
- A comic-book memoir that offers a unique and thoughtful commentary on growing up in Iran during the Islamic revolution.
- 599.352 Sullivan, Robert. Rats: Observations on the History and Habitat of the City's Most Unwanted Inhabitants
- Get down and dirty with this book that chronicles a year in the life of New York City's rat population.
- 363.378 Unger, Zac. Working Fire: The Making of an Accidental Fireman
- Can an Ivy-League graduate searching for his purpose in life succeed in the rough and tumble world of the Oakland, California Fire Department?
- 305.235 Vizzini, Ned. Teen Angst? Naaah...A Quasi-Autobiography
- The 19-year-old author writes about the varied and often humorous experiences of his teen years in a series of short essays.