These are all great reading:
- How I Learned To Snap by Kirk Read
- Funny coming of age story of an outgoing, acid witted, young gay man in Lexington, Virginia, trying to negotiate Valley high school culture and a military father, but supported by his unconventional mother.
- Rocket Boys by Homer Hickam
- Homer and several of his friends, growing up in a small Virginia coal town in the Sputnik era, become heroes of their town by learning to build and launch rockets. Also a moving and nostalgic portrait of a troubled family living in a simpler, more innocent time.
- Three by Lillian Hellman
- Contains all three of Hellman's autobiographical works: An Unfinished Woman, Pentimento, and Scoundrel Time. "Unfinished" is about her life while growing up in New Orleans and also the story of her longtime romantic relationship with mystery writer Dashiell Hammett. "Pentimento", consists of individual portraits of people important to Hellman in her life. "Scoundrel Time" is an amazing recounting of the devastating attacks on Hellman and many friends by the House Committee on Un-American Activities during the McCarthy years.