Out and About - GLBT Fiction for Young Adults
(Difference between revisions)
|Revision as of 18:09, 24 June 2009
Mdickens (Talk | contribs)
← Previous diff
|Revision as of 15:43, 26 June 2009
Mdickens (Talk | contribs)
(Out and About moved to Out and About - GLBT Fiction for Young Adults: added subtitle)
Next diff →
Revision as of 15:43, 26 June 2009
Gay + Lesbian Fiction for Teens - Including books featuring bisexual, transgendered, and questioning characters
- Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky
- Charlie struggles to cope with complex world of high school as he deals with the confusions of sex and love, the temptations of drugs, and the pain of losing a close friend and a favorite aunt.
- Naomi & Ely's No Kiss List by Rachel Cohn & David Levithan
- Although they have been friends and neighbors all their lives, straight Naomi and gay Ely find their relationship severely strained during their freshman year at New York University. Other books by Cohn and/or Levithan feature LGBT support/characters.
- Down to the Bone by Mayra L. Dole
- Laura, a seventeen-year-old Cuban American girl, is thrown out of her house when her mother discovers she is a lesbian, but after trying to change her heart and hide from the truth, Laura finally comes to terms with who she is and learns to love and respect herself.
- Geography Club by Brent Hartinger
- After realizing he isn't the only one at his school who is gay and hiding his identity from the rest of the population, Russel decides to create a boring club to be used as a cover for all the gay and bi kids to come and present their true selves without fear. Try the sequels The Order of the Poison Oak and Split Screen.
- The Misfits by James Howe
- Four students who do not fit in at their small-town middle school decide to create a third party for the student council elections to represent all students who have ever been called names. Try Totally Joe by this author.
- Country Girl, City Girl by Lisa Jahn-Clough
- When thirteen-year-old Melita, the sophisticated daughter of a New York actress, comes to visit Phoebe, who has been raised by her father on a farm in Maine, Phoebe discovers she has confusing feelings about their developing friendship.
- Another Kind of Cowboy by Susan Juby
- In Vancouver, British Columbia, two teenage dressage riders, one a spoiled rich girl and the other a closeted gay sixteen-year-old boy, come to terms with their identities and learn to accept themselves.
- Out of the Pocket by Bill Konigsberg
- As Bobby Framingham, quarterback of his high school football team, finally acknowledges to himself that he is gay, events start to spin out of control when his sexual orientation is revealed in the local papers, and he learns that his father has cancer.
- Absolutely, Positively Not by David LaRochelle
- Chronicles a teenage boy's humorous attempts to fit in at his Minnesota high school by becoming a macho, girl-loving, "Playboy" pinup-displaying heterosexual.
- Wide Awake by David Levithan
- In the not-too-distant future, when a gay Jewish man is elected president of the United States, sixteen-year-old Duncan examines his feelings for his boyfriend, his political and religious beliefs, and tries to determine his rightful place in the world. Try How They Met, Boy Meets Boy and The Realm of Possibility by this author.
- Dramarama by E. Lockhart
- Theater-mad teens Sadye and her best friend Demi find their bond of friendship sorely tested when they encounter love, rivalry, and a vast array of unforgettable characters while spending the summer at drama camp.
- Hero by Perry Moore
- Thom Creed, the gay son of a disowned superhero, finds that he, too, has special powers and is asked to join the very League that rejected his father, and it is there that Thom finds other misfits whom he can finally trust.
- Kissing Kate by Lauren Myracle
- Sixteen-year-old Lissa's relationship with her best friend changes after they kiss at a party and Lissa does not know what to do, until she gets help from an unexpected new friend.
- Far From Xanadu by Julie Anne Peters
- In a small Kansas town, sixteen-year-old Mary-Elizabeth "Mike" Szabo tries to come to terms with her father's suicide and her own homosexuality. Peters has also written Luna and Between Mom and Jo.
- Freak Show by James St. James
- Being gay and a drag queen, Billy Bloom finds fitting in to his new conservative high school in Florida a challenge like none he's ever faced before and now must decide whether to adjust to the masses and fit in or stand-out and be true to himself despite the hardships he knows he will have to endure.
- God Box by Alex Sanchez
- When openly gay Manuel transfers to Paul's high school, Paul, a born-again Christian, begins to question his own sexuality. Sanchez writes many other books with GBLT characters, including Getting It and So Hard To Say.
- Rainbow Boys by Alex Sanchez
- Three high school seniors, a jock with a girlfriend and an alcoholic father, a closeted gay, and a flamboyant gay rights advocate, struggle with family issues, gay bashers, first sex, and conflicting feelings about each other. The story continues in Rainbow High and Rainbow Road.
- 7 Days at the Hot Corner by Terry Trueman
- Varsity baseball player Scott Latimer struggles with his own prejudices and those of others when his best friend reveals that he is gay.
- Hard Love by Ellen Wittlinger
- After starting to publish a zine in which he writes his secret feelings about his lonely life and his parents' divorce, sixteen-year-old John meets an unusual girl and begins to develop a healthier personality. John’s friend Marisol has her own book Love & Lies: Marisol's Story.
- Parrotfish by Ellen Wittlinger
- Grady, a transgendered high school student, yearns for acceptance by his classmates and family as he struggles to adjust to his new identity as a male. Wittlinger has also written What's In a Name and Razzle.
- A collection of original poems, essays, and stories by young adults in their teens and early twenties explores many sexual issues, including coming out, first kisses, break-ups, religion/faith, and friendship.
For more ideas, check out these sites: