Gordon Avenue Library Staff Recommends
Recommended by Benji
- An American Childhood by Annie Dillard
- Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy
- The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
- The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoevsky
"A masterpiece, from the Golden Age of Russian Literature"
- East of Eden by John Steinbeck
"Steinbeck at his best. A 20th Century retelling of the Cain and Abel story."
- Jasper Jones by Craig Silvey
- The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss
"A great debut fantasy novel. Harry Potter for adults."
- The Perilous Gard by Elizabeth Marie pope
"A great read for kids, teens or adults. This Newbery Honor book will leave you feeling enchanted."
- The Princess and the Goblin by George MacDonald
"I loved this book as a child. As an adult, I appreciate it even more."
- The Thief by Megan Whalen Turner
"This is the first book in one of my favorite children's series. Great for kids and gown-ups alike."
- Till We have Facesby C.S. Lewis
"A profound retelling of a classic myth. C.S. Lewis thought this was his best book, and I agree."
- To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
- White Cat by Holly Black
Recommended by Cathie
- The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate by Jacqueline Kelly
- Father Joe: the man who saved my soul by Tony Hendra
"Tony Hendra writes about his life with humor recounting the part Father Joe played. Candid and inspirational."
- Peter and the Starcatchers by Dave Barry
- Scorched Earth by David Robbins
Recommended by Donna
"Historic pictures of Charlottesville."
- Manchild in the Promised Land by Claud Brown
"Old Urban Drama"
Recommended by Glynis
- How the Ladies Stopped the Wind by Bruce McMillan
"A delightful tale of resourceful singing ladies, helpful chickens and hungry sheep."
- Mercy Watson to the Rescue by Kate DiCamillo
"A porcine romp with a pig with personality. All adventures end with wonderful helpings of hot buttered toast."
- Once I Ate Pie by Patricia MacLachlan
"Wonderful free-verse poems bring out the personalities of a motley crew of canines."
- Sabriel by Garth Nix
"A fantastic fantasy adventure of a young girl who must step into her father's shoes to defeat the undead. An ancient spirit embodied in the surly cat Mogget is a most memorable character."
- The Search for Delicious by Natalie Babbitt
- Sophie's Masterpiece: A Spider's Story by Eileen Spinelli
"A lovely, warm story of kindness in unexpected places. Jane Dyer's illustrations are magical."
- The Tower the Zoo and the Tortoise by Julia Stewart
"A quirky cast of characters bring to life this tale of a Beefeater in the tower of London who is reluctantly but in charge of the Queen's exotic animals."
- Wildwood by Colin Meloy
Recommended by Meredith
- The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay by Michael Chabon
"Lots of threads come together. Great writing, entertaining."
- American Gods by Neil Gaiman
"Gaiman is a fantastic storyteller. Just go along for the ride."
- Anathem by Neal Stephenson
"A thrilling challenge"
- Asleep by Banana Yoshimoto
"artful simplicity, atmospheric"
- Beginner's Greek by James Collins
"A charming romance but also a satirical comedy"
- The City and the City by China Mieville
"Thrilling, sharp, unique"
- Citrus County by John Brandon
"Atmospheric, emotional, character driven. Well-written."
- The Clothes They Stood up In by Allan Bennett
"Charming little gem. Read anything by him."
- Ella Minnow Pea by Mark Dunn
"Epistolary style; great fun. Clever wordplay, thoughtful, lightly satirical."
- The End of the Alphabet by CS Richardson
"Darling. Someone else called it 'lovably odd.' A gem."
Recommended by Yvonne
- At Home in Mitford by Jan Karon
" The first book in the Mitford series. Mitford will feel like your hometown after you learn the characters."
- Heaven is for Real by Todd Burpo
"A little boy's astounding story of his trip to heaven and back."
- Miss Julia Speaks Her Mind by Ann B. Ross
"First book of the Miss Julia series. Each one is a light, delightful read."
- One Summer by David Baldacci
- Roar of the Heavens by Stefan Betchel
"Excellent book on Hurricane Camille."
- Unlocked by Karen Kingsbury
"Moving; Could provide hope for parents of autistic children."