Difference between revisions of "Brown Baggers Book Group (Central Library)"
|Line 43:||Line 43:|
*[http://aries.jmrl.org/search/t?SEARCH=lesson+before+dying'''A Lesson before Dying'''] by
*[http://aries.jmrl.org/search/t?SEARCH=lesson+before+dying'''A Lesson before Dying'''] by J. Gaines (February 2010)
Revision as of 17:51, 19 October 2009
Article in Book Groups
On the third Thursday of the month bring your lunch to the Central Branch of JMRL and discuss fiction and non-fiction books. Library staff will provide value-added content and lead the discussion. Drinks and desserts will be provided. Send an email to be added to our mailing list.
- Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen
- An Arsonist's Guide to Writers' Homes in New England by Brock Clarke
- What made this novel uncomfortably but hysterically funny to me was how likable the protagonist becomes, even as he physically and emotionally devastates everything he touches, and struggles to mis-interpret his experience in novel ways. The novel (and our reading of other novels, our attempts to square our experience with our actions, our attempts to justify our existences) is summed up by the judge, just before sentencing him to 10 years in prison for burning Emily Dickinson's home.
" '...Mr. Pulsifer, can a story actually be blamed for arson and murder?' 'Huh,' I said, then acted as if I were thinking about the question, which I should have been..."
- A Team of Rivals by Doris Kearns Goodwin
- Run by Ann Patchett (January 2009)
- Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston (February 2009)
- The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (March 2009)
- Devil in the White City by Erik Larsen (April 2009)
- The Painted House by John Grisham (May 2009)
- My Stroke of Insight by Jill Bolte Taylor (June 2009)
- Loving Frank by Nancy Horan (July 2009)
- Netherland by Joseph O'Neill (August 2009)
- March by Geraldine Brooks (September 2009)
- Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov (October 2009)
- Embers by Sàndor Màrai (November 2009)
- Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy (January 2010)
- A Lesson before Dying by Ernest J. Gaines (February 2010)