Difference between revisions of "Books for Grades K, 1, 2"
Revision as of 14:27, 10 August 2013
A printable version of this booklist is available in Word format here
Notable New Titles
JP Cole, Henry Unspoken: A Story from the Underground Railroad
- In this wordless picture book, a young Southern farm girl discovers a runaway slave hiding behind the corn crib in the barn and decides to help him.
J 811.6 Coombs, Kate Water Sings Blue
- This beautiful poetry collection celebrates the ocean.
JP Donaldson, Julia Highway Rat
- A very bad rat rides his horse along the highway stealing travelers' food until clever Duck introduces him to her "sister."
JP Fleischman, Paul Matchbox Diary
- A little girl and her great-grandfather meet for the first time and get to know each other by looking at the great-grandfather's collection of matchboxes.
JP 811.54 Florian, Douglas Shiver Me Timbers
- "Arrgh, matey, best beware!" Pirates take the stage in this collection of pirate poems.
JP Guiberson, Brenda Frog Song
- This book describes eleven frogs from around the world and includes a reminder that frogs today are in trouble.
JP Proimos, Jmes Best Bike Ride Ever
- Bonnioe O'Boy's dream comes true when she gets a bike and then must learn an important part of riding it: how to stop it.
JP Seto, Loretta Mooncakes
- A little girl celebrates the Chinese Moon Festival with her parents, who tell her three legends about the moon while they eat mooncakes and drink tea.
Most of these authors have written other wonderful books.
JP Agee, Jon Milo's Hat Trick
- Milo the magician has a hard time until he befriends a bear who is good at jumping into hats.
JP 700 Ajmera, Maya To Be An Artist
- Young people from many different countries are engaged in art.
JP 796.332 Barber, Tiki and Ronde Teammates
- Former UVA football players Tiki and Ronde Barber relate tales from their childhood.
JE Becker, Bonny Birthday for Bear
- Bear doesn't like birthdays, but Mouse is determined to celebrate it.
JP Bridges, Shirin Ruby's Wish
- Ruby dreams of going to the university with her brothers and male cousins.
JP Bruel, Nick Bad Kitty
- When a kitty discovers there is no cat food in the house, she decides to become very bad.
JP Buehner, Caralyn Superdog: The Heart of a Hero
- Dexter transforms himself into a superhero.
JP Cherry, Lynne How Groundhog's Garden Grew
- Squirrel teaches Little Groundhog how to plant a vegetable garden.
JP 585.5 Chin, Jason Redwoods
- A boy finds a book about redwoods and becomes immersed in it.
JP Cole, Joanna Boney-Legs
- A girl escapes from the witch Baba Yaga.
JP Cosentino, Ralph Superman, the Story of the Man of Steel
- Take a look at the life of Superman.
JP DiCamillo, Kate Louise: The Adventures of a Chicken
- Longing for adventure, intrepid Louise leaves her comfortable nest.
JP Dodds, Dayle Henry's Amazing Machine
- Henry creates an amazing flying machine.
JP Friend, Catherine The Perfect Nest
- Jack the cat tries the build the perfect nest for the perfect chicken.
JP Gormley, Greg Dog in Boots
- After reading "Puss In Boots," an adventurous dog sets out to find the perfect pair of shoes to suit his every mood.
JP Gravett, Emily Meerkat Mail
- Sunny Meerkat searches for a place to be.
JP Grigsby, Susan In the Garden with Dr. Carver
- Scientist George Washington Carver came to an Alabama school and taught the children how to grow plants.
JP Henkes, Kevin Penny and Her Song
- Penny is eager to share her very own song, but must wait until the time is right to teach it to her parents and the babies.
JP Hicks, Barbara Jitterbug Jam
- Bob, a young monster, is afraid of a boy.
J 591.779 Jenkins, Steve Down, Down, Down
- Descend down 36,000 feet (7 miles!) into the ocean.
J 529 Jenkins, Steve Amazing Grace
- Grace discovers that she can do whatever she sets her mind to.
JP 590 Jenkins, Steve Just a Second
- This book explores time and how we think about it.
JP Katz, Susan Oh, Theodore!
- A boy settles for the one pet his momwill allow -- a guinea pig.
JP Long, Melissa How I Became a Pirate
- Jeremy learns all about pirates when he becomes one.
JP McCarthy, Meghan Seabiscuit: The Wonder Horse
- Can Seabiscuit beat War Admiral?
JP McElligott, Matthew Even Monsters Need Haircuts
- At night, under a full moon, a child operates a barber shop with a monstrous clientele.
JP Manushkin, Fran Shivers in the Fridge
- The magnetic Shivers family are marooned inside the refrigerator.
JP Marshall, James George and Martha, One Fine Day
- Five stories about two friends.
JP Melling, David The Scallywags
- The Scallywags, a family of wolves, decide to improve themselves.
JP Morris, Jackie Tell Me a Dragon
- Having a dragon can be so enticing.
JP Nargi, Lela Honeybee Man
- A bekeeper has hives on the roof of his Brooklyn apartment building.
JP Piven, Hanoch My Best Friend Is As Sharp As A Pencil
- A girl draws a class portrait showing what makes each person special.
JE Porte, Barbara Harry's Pony
- When Harry wins a pony in a contest, his friends help him find a way to keep it.
JE Quackenbujsh, Robert Detective Mole
- Detective Mole solves mysteries.
J 567.9 Ray, Deborah Dinosaur Mountain
- Earl Douglass discovered the first almost complete skeleton of an Apatosaurus, one of the largest dinosaurs ever.
JP 398.2 Salley, Coleen Epossumondas
- A young possum continually takes instrucions much too literally.
JP Schaefer, Lola Frankie Stein
- Oh no! Mr. and Mrs. Frank N. Stein have a son that doesn't look or act scary.
JP Schertle, Alice The Skeleton in the Closet
- A scary skeleton is coming up the stairs to a boy's bedroom!
JE Thomas, Shelley Good Night, Good Knight
- A knight helps three dragons who are having trouble getting to sleep.
JP Tusa, Tricia Follow Me
- A girl travels through an imagnative world of colors by way of a swing.
JP Urbanovic, Jackie Duck Soup
- Chaos ensues when it seems that Maxwell the duck has fallen into the soup he is cooking.
JP Ward, Lindsay When Blue Met Egg
- Blue looks for the mother of the strange white egg that appeared in her nest one winter's day.
JP Wheeler, Lisa Ugly Pie
- About baking a scrumptious ugly pie made from ingredients donated by neighbors.
JP Williams, Vera Cherries and Cherry Pits
- Bidemmi likes to draw and tell stories about cherries.
JP Wood, Audrey The Bunyans
- The adventures of Paul Bunyan and his wife and children.
JP Woodson, Josephine The Other Side
- Two girls share a spot on a fence that divides black from white.
JE Yee, Herbert Upstairs Mouse, Downstairs Mole
- Mouse and Mole help each other.