Book Bugs Book Group:for grades 4 & 5 (Northside Library)
The Book Bugs is a book group for grades 4 and 5 meeting every few weeks at Northside branch. We meet in order to discuss the book, snack, play book trivia and sometimes we even incorporate a craft related to the theme of the book. It lasts for 45 minutes to an hour and is a lot of fun! Registration is required, as books are provided for the Book Bugs to keep. Meetings for Winter/Spring 2009 will take place on Thursdays at 4:00.
Book Bugs Books:
- The Westing Game by Ellen Raskin (met September 6)
This is a great book! An odd assortment of characters are forced to get to know one another when a mysterious millionaire dies, leaving his money to the one who can solve his murder. Turtle, the unlikely heroine of the novel, is fantastic and it is interesting to see the changes in each of the characters.
- Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl (met September 27)
Sweet, soft-spoken Charlie wants desperately to tour Willy Wonka's chocolate factory. He gets his wish when he finds a golden ticket! What will happen at the chocolate factory?
- Millicent Min, Girl Genius by Lisa Yee (met October 18)
Millicent Min has never had a real friend. People either use her or want nothing to do with her when they find out that she is a certified genius. This summer could be different. Her mother has made her join the volleyball team and a new girl named Emily seems genuinely interested in being Millicent's friend. Will this remain true when she learns Millicent is a genius? Told in journal entries in the voice of Millicent, this is a highly entertaining read.
- Bud, Not Buddy by Christopher Paul Curtis (met November 8)
Set in Michigan during the Great Depression, young Bud is a likable character with his share of difficulties. After escaping his awful foster family, Bud decides to search for the man he believes is his real father and hopefully find a home.
- Everything on a Waffle by Polly Horvath (met November 29)
Primrose's parents have been lost at sea and Primrose is the only person in town who seems to think that they will return. Follow her on her adventures as she learns about life in unexpected ways.
Book Bugs Winter/Spring 2009 Preview:
- The Tale of Despereaux by Kate DiCamillo (will meet February 5 at 4:00)
- Holes by Louis Sachar (will meet February 26 at 4:00)
- So B. It by Sarah Weeks (will meet April 2 at 4:00)
- Gregor the Overlander by Suzanne Collins (will meet April 30 at 4:00)
Book Bugs Summer 2009 Preview:
For the summer session of Book Bugs, the group will meet specified Fridays at 2:00