Bless me ultima
- 1 About the Author
- 2 Other Works by Rudolfo Anaya
- 3 Related Reading
About the Author
Rudolfo Anaya began writing while working as a public school teacher in Albuquerque, New Mexico. Following rejection by many publishers, Bless Me, Ultima was published in 1972 by El Grito, and he then went on to teach English Literature at the University of New Mexico. Following his retirement from the University, he has published the Sonny Baca mystery novels and a number of children's books.
The events in Bless Me, Ultima are drawn from his own experiences. He recorded further experiences in The Heart of Aztlan and Tortuga, which form a trilogy of fictionalized memoirs.
Rudolfo Anaya biography and interview: Bless Me, Ultima Reader's Guide
Other Works by Rudolfo Anaya
- Anaya told reporters that this was the hardest book for him to write, recounting his experiences in a hospital following a serious swimming accident which also formed the basis for Florence's death in Bless Me, Ultima.
Anaya's Books for Children
New Mexican Stories
- Face of an Angel by Denise Chavez
- Loving Pedro Infante by Denise Chavez.
- The Milagro Beanfield War by John Nicholson.
- Death Comes for the Archbishop by Willa Cather - the establishment of the Catholic Church in New Mexico is portrayed in this classic novel depicting the relationships between the church and native beliefs, and between nature and culture
- and find suggestions for young adults in the and Latino Literature page.
- Check on current Hispanic demographics at: U.S. Census
- Review New Mexico’s various ethnic and cultural historical timelines: New Mexico Tourism
- Explore further Chicano, Latino, and Hispanic-related topics: University of Minnesota Department of Chicano Studies
- Ana Castillo
- Denise Chavez
- Sandra Cisneros
- Dagoberto Gilb
- Manuel Munoz
- Ruben Martinez
- John Rechy
- Richard Rodriguez
- Benjamin Alire Saenz
- Luis Alberto Urrea
Latino Writers of the United States - Bibliography
Adult Fiction By Latin American Writers of the United States A Selection
- Chantel Acevedo
- Julia Alvarez
- Jimmy Santiago Baca
- Junot Díaz
- Cristina García
- Francisco Goldman
- Oscar Hijuelos
- Lorraine López
- Nina Marie Martinez
- Victor Martinez
- Ana Menéndez
- Cecile Pineda
- Abraham Rodriguez
- Héctor Tobar
- yunque+edgardo Edgardo Vega Yunqué
- The House of the Spirits by Isabel Allende.
- Like Water for Chocolate by Laura Esquivel.
- One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez.
Bestsellers in the 1940's
Coming of Age
- Red Sky at Morning by Richard Bradford.
Movies Related to Bless Me, Ultima
- Frederic March and Dana Andrews star in a story of World War II veterans adjusting to life in the small town which had not changed along with them.
- Magical realism, from the director of Amelie
- Things go awry when a Chinese girl living in Vancouver uses magic to help her mother.
- Though set in Maori New Zealand with a young girl as protagonist, the novel and the film based upon it echo the themes of coming of age, family traditions, and mystical understanding of the natural world in Bless Me, Ultima.