Bless me ultima
About the Author
Rudolfo Anaya began writing while working as a public school teacher in Albuquerque, New Mexico. Following rejection by many publishers, Bless Me, Ultima was published in 1972 by El Grito, and he then went on to teach English Literature at the University of New Mexico. Following his retirement from the University, he has published the Sonny Baca mystery novels and a number of children's books.
The events in Bless Me, Ultima are drawn from his own experiences. He recorded further experiences in The Heart of Aztlan and Tortuga, which form a trilogy of fictionalized memoirs.
Other Works by Rudolfo Anaya
- Anaya told reporters that this was the hardest book for him to write, recounting his experiences in a hospital following a serious swimming accident which also formed the basis for Florence's death in Bless Me, Ultima.
Bestsellers in the 1940's?
Hispanics in New Mexico
- The Milagro Beanfield War by John Nicholson.
Movies Related to Bless Me, Ultima
- Frederic March and Dana Andrews star in a story of World War II veterans adjusting to life in the small town which had not changed along with them.
- Magical realism, from the director of Amelie
- Film biography of one of New Mexico's most famous artists.
- Though set in Maori New Zealand with a young girl as protagonist, the novel and the film based upon it echo the themes of coming of age, family traditions, and mystical understanding of the natural world in Bless Me, Ultima.