Adult International Fiction
Revision as of 19:49, 6 December 2008 by Askew
======Great Novels In Settings All Over the World:
- People of the Book by Geraldine Brooks
- In 1992 the Sarajevo Haggadah is rediscovered. Hanna Heath, an Australian rare book expert, is called in to trace the history of the book. In the course of documenting the movements of the book over the centuries from one Jewish community to another around the Mediterranean, she experiences romance and family trauma and the reader meets many fascinating and varied characters.
- A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry
- Madras on Rainy Days by Samina Ali
- Layla, a young woman raised in both the United States and Hyderabad India, is on the eve of her arranged wedding to a young man she has never met, the son of a longtime friend of her mother's family. But Layla has a secret; she is pregnant by her American lover. Her new husband also has a secret and refuses to consummate the marriage. Sensitive writing and luminous prose grace this story about a young woman assimilated as an American, finding herself as a young wife in India, struggling to please her family and new husband, and yet also retain her individuality and personal freedom, in a culture where women's lives are tightly controlled and problems, shrouded in secrecy, cannot be dealt with, as honor of the family must be preserved above all other values.